1. Movement Prep/Activation
Crossover Symmetry or Banded 7’s Warm Up
5 Step Back Lunges (each side – build across)
3 Inch Worms
3 reps of Half-Wall Walks with 5-sec hold at the halfway point on the wall
2. Workout Prep
4 Single Dumbbell Alternating Step Back Lunges (build-in weight)
1 Wall Walk
16 Single Dumbbell Alternating Step Back Lunges (50/35)
2 Wall Walks
(KG conv: 22.5/15 DB)
16 Single Dumbbell Alternating Step Back Lunges (35/25)
2 Wall Walks
(KG conv: 15/10 DB)
12 Single Dumbbell Alternating Step Back Lunges (light)
2 Inch Worms
- Target time: 9-11 minutes
- Time cap: 16 minutes
Double-Unders: Week 1 Day 1
Every athlete progresses differently in learning double-unders. Some can get them in a few days. For others, it can take years. Don’t allow yourself to get frustrated. Follow these progressions at your own pace, and you’ll be well on your way to mastering this movement.
Phase 1: Single-Unders
Practice single-unders until you can get 50 unbroken.
Goal Workout: 50 unbroken single-unders
*Once you can successfully complete this with no misses, you can move on to phase two next week.
Advanced Athlete Option:
If you already have mastered double-unders, instead use this time to work on Crossovers.
* Video on how to learn crossovers: youtube.com/watch?v=E0S_HJa1mHQ
- After the first swing, your wrists should generate the jump rope rotation.
- You want to minimize movement from your elbows and shoulders.
- Keep a slight bend in your knees and land softly on the balls of your feet.
- Your jumps should be roughly 1-2 inches off the ground.
- Don’t pull your feet back or tuck your knees. Instead, point your toes slightly down with every jump.
- Keep your shoulders pulled back and your elbows held down and back.
Use a slightly heavier jump rope (like a beaded rope). It should also be a few sizes longer than your double-under rope. A longer/heavier rope will move slower, giving you more time to learn the skill. Start long and you can always get shorter it as you get better to “speed up” the skill and work on efficiency.